Thursday, August 12, 2010

My 2 Days in Las Vegas at the ASD Show

On Sunday and Monday, I spent 2 days in the place where you go if you want to misbehave – Las Vegas. Maybe they don’t like me to put it that way but the tag line is “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” so what do they expect. Except that I am going to tell you a little about what I saw there at the ASD show. The ASD show is a wholesaler to retailer show, basically where you go to find your suppliers if you sell retail or distribute. Because I have an online shop – both Ebay and Bonanzle – I went to find things for the holiday season. I was focused on looking for scarves and other related items because that’s what I love and I like learning more about.

I was amazed at the sheer number of booths and amounts of scarves. Scarves are everywhere and in all types of materials. I saw the plain oblong scarves made of various materials (commonly called a “Pashmina”) and a whole lot of print scarves. The suppliers are doing all kinds of things to the plain scarf to dress it up – they are using different sized threads, metallic threads, gathers and ruffles. Each of the ways provides a different look and I believe everyone can find a scarf that they could not live without this fall.

Some specific treatments that I liked for scarves:
  1. Plaid print in various sizes. I saw Burberry plaid and houndstooth and mixed sized plaids like Tommy Hilfiger does. I found plaid to be a very popular theme throughout the show with enough variety to choose from. I bought several plaid styles in the scarves that I will be highlighting for you over the coming weeks.
  2. Animal Prints were everywhere – leopard, zebra, giraffe were the most popular. I loved several that had a metallic thread running through them. The animal prints are available in so many colors and sizes to please all of us. I found some great ones with leopard print in beige with a metallic thread and zebra print in grey with a metallic thread. Love them!
  3. Infinity Scarves are continuing to move up in the ranks of scarves. These scarves are created in a circular way – think of your oblong scarf sewed together at the end so it does not have an opening. Let me tell you why I love them – they are just as nice as the oblong scarves but don’t require as much fuss! Many times I saw the scarves done in both oblong and infinity. And the infinity can be worn the same as the oblong if you want. Shorter infinity scarves are coming out as well – sometimes called cowl neck scarves.

Overall, I was overwhelmed. Thanks to my husband for keeping us on track or I would have spent wayyyy too much. Watch over the coming weeks for my picks from what I got and more tips on how to wear all of the different kinds.

No comments: